Oh gosh....where do I stinking start?!? Here is the re-cap.
We left on Boxing day (Dec. 26th) to one of my very best friends wedding. She booked us two nights in a FABULOUS room at the hotel they were getting married in. We were stoked! A little mini vacay, all be it with some photography involved. Had a lazy wake-up on Saturday and then spent the rest of the day shooting Becky's wedding. Becky got married at 4:00pm which in England is DARK. Don't get me started. Love you Becks but this is nightmare time for someone like myself who is a NATURAL LIGHT photographer. Now I no one cares about that but it sucked for me and didn't really allow me to work my magic the way I wanted to. I won't EVER do it again. Oh well.
Head back to the room where I find my husband and baby who is fighting a RAGING red fever. I had never seen Owen so hot! We dosed him up with all the drugs we could and waited till morning. He seemed alright so we kept with our plans to go see Ben's family in Hastings.
BAD IDEA.
Two days later, Owen is still totally miserable. Now he has a wicked cough with all the snot that goes with it and is still fighting a fever. Take him to the dr's and get a diagnosis of a double ear infection and some amoxicillin. I wish I would have thought of the ears. My S-I-L had come down just before Christmas with sick kids so we assumed that it was the bug that they passed on. I guess it was, only much more vicious on an 18 month old. We end up staying and the next day I am totally coming down with all of the crap. Soooo super sore throat, cough, congestion...ya the works! FINALLY we decide to leave home on Friday stopping in Poole to do a shoot the next day. We got to Ben's bro's house and put Owen to bed.
2am he wakes up SHAKING uncontrollably, BLUE fingers, BLUE lips and a bloody nose.
Tell me that there is not another time in your life that you would FREAK-OUT!??!!
I had felt for a couple of days that we should take him to the hospital but I thought I was being really paranoid (as I have a tendency to do since having worked in the hospital for so long!). We took him to the hospital where they started a drip, took blood tests, gave him two doses of antibiotics via IV, and then monitored him all night. It was THE worst night ever. I was sooooo stressed out and feeling guilty for not having brought him earlier and feeling soooo rough on top of that. We never really got any kind of diagnosis other than the fact that this bug is really taking it out of him. They think he was a bit dehydrated and that the amoxicillin wasn't strong enough. They released Owen late Saturday night and we left back to Plymouth on Sunday morning.
I don't ever remember a time where I was so glad to be back home. Owen seems a little bit better although not himself and ARGH I HATE IT!! I cannot stand it. I just want him to return to his fun little guy self! Thankfully my sore throat is better but the congestion is a nightmare. I feel like a uber lame wife for giving Ben such stick about being sick himself....I ate my words hun.....ATE. MY. WORDS.
May NO ONE get this super bug, it is NOT nice!!
Other than the TOTALLY WRETCHID HORRID Christmas trip of 2008, our Christmas morning was hilarious! Owen opened up every gift and said, "Oh wow!" He helped Ben open one of his gifts, which were socks, and said, "Oh man!" We did not expect all the reaction we got but we LOVED IT! His favorite present is his Ikea easel (even though the chalk manages to drift to other places in the house!) and his new football!
A bit of video of the dude around Christmas when he was so much more himself!!



13 comments:
Oh my goodness Linz! Owen is so cute! I just watched the little video clip of him and I can't wait to meet him! So sad about the hospital too. I'm glad he is starting to fell better.
i love the expressions. it was a good way to end the sad story- the cute video clip.
poor kiddo- luckily hes young eough where you could recelebrate christmas in a few weeks and he wouldn't know the difference. take video, you know- so they know you were a good mom.
I'm sorry you've had such a rough Christmas but I hope things have turned around and you're starting to feel better. Blue isn't a good skin colour, at all. Those pictures brings back bad memories, kids in hospital just isn't right.
That bug sounds like something my brother and his family has had all of December and still have. We've been trying to see them for a month and a half now but always get the "you really don't want this bug" answer. And being immuno suppressed it probably isn't very clever to hang around people with bugs like that. They've had really high fevers, ear infections and coughs too - and spent pretty much every other weekend at the A&E.
Get well soon! And kick this bugs bum really hard! Thinking about you all.
Your little man is sooo cute. Sorry he got so sick, I hate it when they are sick. And hospital sick is no fun at all. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
I'm so sorry Linz. I totally know what you mean about wanting your baby back the way he was BEFORE he got sick! I'm glad he's doing better and I hope YOU get some rest! Love ya girl!
WHAT.A.CUTIE!!!!!!!!
Lindsey! What the? Its been so long! Ok you live in LONDON? Why and, LUCKY!!! HOw awesome. Email me! I wanna know who you married, and why you live in London.
linzmaxson@yahoo.com
Oh Linz! I'm so sorry to hear about poor Owen. So so sad... and scary!
Oh no Linz!! How horrible! I'm so glad Owen is doing better. When I hadn't heard from you after that email I was wondering how he was doing. Goodness! Rough couple of weeks! You need a nice, calm, enjoyable January now. :)
How frightening! I held my breath just reading the story. He is such a handsome little man!
I am so sad for you. That is horrible and to happen during the holidays. I am so sorry that happened but I am sooo glad things are okay. It almost made me cry to see little Owen in the hospital photo. Poor sweet thing.
UG!!! So sorry! I hope you're all feeling so much better! And, I'm glad you're home.
so fun to find YOUR blog! so sorry about this. i just had to comment because a similar thing happened to us. and i am like you...didn't want to be THAT mom that is over the top and totally over reacts. so my 2 week old turned GREY and we were on the phone with the doctor who told us to call 911. an ambulance took him to the hospital and he was in the icu with rsv. i felt so horrible that we almost lost him because i didn't get him in earlier.
when i was reading your experience i just wanted to give you a big hug. and yes, blue lips, blue fingers and bloody nose would have made me freak out like nothing else. sooo glad he's ok.
Post a Comment